Re: PostgreSQL with ZFS on Linux

From: Sébastien Lorion <sl(at)thestrangefactory(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL with ZFS on Linux
Date: 2014-01-17 06:54:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <
achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> wrote:

> http://www.unix-experience.fr/2013/2451/
>
> FreeBSD is also a very mature platform for ZFS/postgresql.

It is more mature than Linux for sure, but still not up to par with Solaris
for some features. See this comment for example:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27269032-. I do like FreeBSD very much,
but it seems to me that if I want to use ZFS to its fullest, I should go
with OpenIndiana.

In the benchmark you link, ZFS+opti (orange line, physical machine
benchmark) performs well because it has sync=disabled, which is risky to
say the least ...