Running CREATE only on certain Postgres versions

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Running CREATE only on certain Postgres versions
Date: 2012-09-24 13:32:42
Lists: pgsql-general

I have some code which creates a function in Postgres, taken from
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Array_agg .

DROP AGGREGATE IF EXISTS array_agg(anyelement);
CREATE AGGREGATE array_agg(anyelement) (
SFUNC=array_append,
STYPE=anyarray,
INITCOND='{}'
);

The function was added in 8.4, and so the code fails when run on 8.4 or higher.

How can I make the code cross-version compatible? For instance, how
can I tell it to check the version, and only run if 8.3 or lower? Or
another way to make it cross-version?