Re: replicate per tablespace

From: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: replicate per tablespace
Date: 2014-01-07 05:17:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net> wrote:

> Here's an odd question. Kind of an in the future thing.
>
> I have two db's on two smaller boxes I'd like to combine to one big box.
> But one db is replicated and the other doesn't need it.
>
> I know currently you must replicate the entire cluster. I was just
> wondering, would it be a possible way forward to support WAL logging per
> tablespace. (each tablespace wal's to different directory). Then, as a
> logical step, could we support replication per tablespace?
>
> Just kinda thinking out loud.
>
> -Andy
>

> --

This is more popularly called logical replication. There was a talk about
one of the bigger projects to get this incorporated into core at last
year's PGCon. It's quite a complex feature to get implemented, so it's
probably not going to be around for a while yet. Links to the talk and
slides are on the conference website if you're curious to learn more
http://www.pgcon.org/2013/schedule/events/577.en.html

In the mean time, there are several third-party solutions that can provide
logical replication, the more popular being Slony & Bucardo. I've been
working on one myself as well (Mimeo) that's not quite as advanced as those
two, but a little simpler to configure if you just need a few tables
replicated.

http://bucardo.org/wiki/Bucardo
http://slony.info/
https://github.com/omniti-labs/mimeo

Hope that helps to answer your questions

--
Keith Fiske
Database Administrator