Re: Maximum number of sequences that can be created

From: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Klemme <shortcutter(at)googlemail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum number of sequences that can be created
Date: 2012-05-25 15:04:18
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>wrote:
>

>> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Віталій Тимчишин <tivv00(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:
>>

>>> The sequences AFAIK are accounted as relations. Large list of relations
>>> may slowdown different system utilities like vacuuming (or may not, depends
>>> on queries and indexes on pg_class).
>>>

>> Not "may slow down." Change that to "will slow down and possibly
>> corrupt" your system.
>>
>> In my experience (PG 8.4.x), the system can handle in the neighborhood of
>> 100,000 relations pretty well. Somewhere over 1,000,000 relations, the
>> system becomes unusable. It's not that it stops working -- day-to-day
>> operations such as querying your tables and running your applications
>> continue to work. But system operations that have to scan for table
>> information seem to freeze (maybe they run out of memory, or are
>> encountering an O(N^2) operation and simply cease to complete).
>>

> Glad I found this thread.
>
> Is this 1M relation mark for the whole database cluster or just for a
> single database within the cluster?

I don't know. When I discovered this, our system only had a few dozen
databases, and I never conducted any experiments. We had to write our own
version of pg_dump to get the data out of the damaged system, and then
reload from scratch. And it's not a "hard" number. Even at a million
relation things work ... they just bog down dramatically. By the time I
got to 5 million relations (a rogue script was creating 50,000 tables per
day and not cleaning up), the system was effectively unusable.

Craig