Re: [GENERA]: Postgresql-9.1.1 synchronous replication issue

From: Venkat Balaji <venkat(dot)balaji(at)verse(dot)in>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERA]: Postgresql-9.1.1 synchronous replication issue
Date: 2012-02-03 06:21:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 10:51:44 pm Venkat Balaji wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was testing the Postgres-9.1.1 synchronous streaming replication on our
> > UAT system.
> >
> > Without synchronous replication, everything was working fine.
> >
> > But, when i enabled synchronous_replication_names='*', the "create table"
> > started hanging for long time.
>
> Only the CREATE TABLE statement or all statements?
> In general terms synchronous replication moves at the speed of the
> connection
> between the primary and standby or does not occur if the standby can not be
> found. So what is the state of the connection between the primary and
> standby?

Connection is working fine between primary and standby, ping is working
fine and wal archive file transfer is working without any issues.

I tried CREATE TABLE and CREATE DATABASE, both were hanging.

Apart from regular streaming replication settings, I did the following on
primary to enable synchronous replication -

synchronous_standby_names='*'

Commands started hanging after that. Is there anything else i need to do.

Thanks
VB