Re: enhanced error fields

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: enhanced error fields
Date: 2012-12-28 18:40:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think that the major outstanding issues are concerning whether or
> not I have the API here right. I make explicit guarantees as to the
> availability of certain fields for certain errcodes (a small number of
> "Class 23 - Integrity Constraint Violation" codes). No one has really
> said anything about that, though I think it's important.
>
> I also continue to think that we shouldn't have "routine_name",
> "routine_schema" and "trigger_name" fields - I think it's wrong-headed
> to have an exception handler magically act on knowledge about where
> the exception came from that has been baked into the exception - is
> there any sort of precedent for this? Pavel disagrees here. Again, I
> defer to others.

depends on perspective - lines of error context are taken by same
mechanism and some other fields from ErrorData too.

I have not strong opinion if last implementation is the best - but I
am sure about context. Developer usually should to know, where
exception was created but interesting is position in custom code - so
it usually different function than function that raises exception. If
I understand you, we have a fields that has behave that you expected -
filename and funcname. And I have not used these fields for
application programming.

Regards

Pavel