Re: table called 'configuration' cannot be dropped

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Daniel McCue <dmccue128(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table called 'configuration' cannot be dropped
Date: 2019-03-08 15:55:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pá 8. 3. 2019 v 16:51 odesílatel Daniel McCue <dmccue128(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:

> I am running Postgresql version 9.5.14 on Ubuntu linux 16.04.
> My schema defines a table called configuration.
> From psql:
> # \d configuration
> Table "public.configuration"
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> ----------------+------------------------+-----------
> parametername | character varying(64) | not null
> parametervalue | character varying(256) |
> "configuration_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (parametername)
>
> PROBLEM:
> When in psql, I type:
> # DROP TABLE configuration;
>
> psql just hangs. No further output from psql.
> If I hit CTRL-C, it responds as expected with:
>
> ^CCancel request sent
> ERROR: canceling statement due to user request
>
> But why is psql stuck on the DROP statement?
> Is configuration a reserved word or pre-defined table?
> Do I need to rename the table?

postgres=# create table public.configuration(xx int);
CREATE TABLE

postgres=# drop table public.configuration ;
DROP TABLE

you can see, the name is not reserved. Probably some queries in some long
transactions holds a locks on this table.

you should to check locks

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/26489244/how-to-detect-query-which-holds-the-lock-in-postgres

Pavel