a tsearch issue

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: a tsearch issue
Date: 2011-11-04 10:22:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

I found a interesting issue when I checked a tsearch prefix searching.

We use a ispell based dictionary

CREATE TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY cspell
(template=ispell, dictfile = czech, afffile=czech, stopwords=czech);
CREATE TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION cs (copy=english);
ALTER TEXT SEARCH CONFIGURATION cs
ALTER MAPPING FOR word, asciiword WITH cspell, simple;

Then I created a table

postgres=# create table n(a varchar);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into n values('Stěhule'),('Chromečka');
INSERT 0 2
postgres=# select * from n;
───────────
Stěhule
Chromečka
(2 rows)

and I tested a prefix searching:

I found a following issue

postgres=# select * from n where to_tsvector('cs', a) @@
to_tsquery('cs','Stě:*') ;
───
(0 rows)

I expected one row. The problem is in transformation of word 'Stě'

postgres=# select * from ts_debug('cs','Stě:*') ;
─[ RECORD 1 ]┬──────────────────
alias │ word
description │ Word, all letters
token │ Stě
dictionaries │ {cspell,simple}
dictionary │ cspell
lexemes │ {sto}
─[ RECORD 2 ]┼──────────────────
alias │ blank
description │ Space symbols
token │ :*
dictionaries │ {}
dictionary │ [null]
lexemes │ [null]

Ispell disctionary cannot to work well with a first n chars from word.
I don't know what is correct solution of this problem.

Minimally note in prefix search, so this cannot work well with *spell
dictionaries - or description of this issue.

Regards

Pavel Stehue