Re: raw output from copy

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: raw output from copy
Date: 2016-03-04 07:52:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Psql based implementation needs new infrastructure (more than few lines)
>>>
>>> Missing:
>>>
>>> * binary mode support
>>> * parametrized query support,
>>>
>>> I am not against, but both points I proposed, and both was rejected.
>>>
>>> So why dont use current infrastructure? Raw copy is trivial patch.
>>>

>> I was asked by Daniel Verite about reopening this patch in opened
>> commitfest.
>>
>> I am sending rebased patch
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pavel
>>

> Since this patch does something I need for my own work, I've signed up as
> a reviewer.
>
> From a design standpoint, I feel that COPY is the preferred means of
> dealing with data from sources too transient to justify setting up a
> foreign data wrapper, and too simple to justify writing application code.
> So, for me, RAW is the right solution, or at least *a* right solution.

my opinion is same - there all necessary infrastructure is ready and when
we work with IO, then we use COPY natively. I hope so main use case (export
bytea) is solved, but there are a possibility to enhance this command by
COPY options - what is, I am thinking, a advantage of this way.

> My first pass of reading the code changes and the regression tests is
> complete, and I found the changes to be clear and fairly straightforward.
> This shouldn't surprise anyone, as the previous reviewers had only minor
> quibbles with the code. So far, so good.
>
> The regression tests seem to adequately cover all new functionality,
> though I wonder if we should add some cases that highlight situations where
> BINARY mode is insufficient.
>
> Before I give my approval, I want to read it again more closely to make
> sure that no cases were skipped with regard to the (binary || raw) and
> (binary || !raw) tests. Also, I want to use it on some of my problematic
> files. Maybe I'll find a good edge case. Probably not.
>
> I hope to find time for those things in the next few days.

Thank you very much

Regards

Pavel