Re: patch: CHECK FUNCTION statement

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: CHECK FUNCTION statement
Date: 2011-11-14 20:54:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

2011/11/14 Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>:
> On 6 October 2011 12:52, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am sending a version with regress tests and basic documentation
>
> Hi Pavel,
>
> I think this sentence needs rewriting:
>
> "checkfunction is the name of a previously registered function that
> will be called when a new function in the language is created, to
> check the function by statemnt CHECK FUNCTION or CHECK TRIGGER."
>
> to something like:
>
> "checkfunction is the name of an existing function that will be called
> whenever a CHECK FUNCTION or CHECK TRIGGER is requested on a function
> written in the language."
>
> And shouldn't this apply to ALTER LANGUAGE too?
>
> And there seem to be copy/paste symptoms in
> doc/src/sgml/ref/check_function.sgml where it shows the definition of
> CREATE FUNCTION and CREATE TRIGGER instead of CHECK FUNCTION and CHECK
> TRIGGER.
>
> In src/include/nodes/parsenodes.h there's the error message "there are
> no plan for query:".  This should probably read "there is no plan for
> query:".  This appears more than once.
>
> And "cannot to identify real type for record type variable" doesn't
> sound right.  Firstly "to" shouldn't be in there, and referring to a
> "real" type is ambiguous as there is a data type called "real".  This
> appears at least twice.

I am not native speaker, so please, fix documentation as you like.

> In src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_exec.c:
>
> "cannot to determine a result of dynamic SQL" should be "cannot
> determine result of dynamic SQL".
>
> Also, I recommend rebasing this patch as it doesn't apply cleanly.  In
> particular, the following fail:
>
> src/pl/plpgsql/src/pl_funcs.c
> src/test/regress/expected/plpgsql.out
> src/test/regress/sql/plpgsql.sql
>
> I haven't tried actually testing the patch itsel, but I will probably
> give it a go if a rebased version appears. :)

There will be more work, I found one area, that was not checked - expr targets.

this new code is on github https://github.com/okbob/plpgsql_lint

this week I plan to redesign this contrib module to CHECK FUNCTION
implementation for 9.2.

Regards

Pavel