Re: proposal: regrole type?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: regrole type?
Date: 2012-12-26 17:34:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2012/12/26 Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> 2012/12/25 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>>> * We can reduce to half lot of functions \df has_* (84 functions)
>>
>> Not without breaking existing queries. A function taking regrole might
>> look like it substitutes for one taking a text-string user name as long
>> as you only pass literal constants to it, but as soon as you pass
>> non-constants you'll find out different. (Unless your plan is to also
>> create an implicit cast from text to regrole, which strikes me as a
>> seriously bad idea.)

I was little bit surprised so regproc, regprocedure is not used on
SQL level in our builtin functions - and I use both types often in our
custom queries.

So it can be similar with regrole and regaclrole - it can be addressed
for more orthogonal work with roles

I am sending patch, but I will not assign to commitfest now.

Regards

Pavel

Attachment Content-Type Size
regrole.patch application/octet-stream 10.4 KB