Re: pg_prewarm

From: Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_prewarm
Date: 2012-03-11 15:24:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Robert

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> The main conclusion was:
>> * Do a "tar cf /dev/zero $PG_DATA/base either shortly before or
>> shortly after the database is created"
>> * Do a seq scan "SELECT * FROM osm_point".
>>
>> Is your tool a replacement of those above?
>
> It can be used that way, although it is more general.
>
> (The patch does include documentation...)

Thanks for the hint. That function is cool and it seems to be the
solution of the concluding question in my talk about read-only
databases at pgconf.de 2011!

I'm new to the contrib best practices of Postgres so I did not expect
that a file 'pg_prewarm_v1.patch' contains a brand new stand-alone
extension.

Does pg_prewarm have already a website entry somewhere? I did not find
anything (like here
http://www.postgresql.org/search/?q=pg_prewarm&a=1&submit=Search )
except at Commitfest open patches (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/
).