Re: BUG #13888: pg_dump write error

From: Vladimir Kunschikov <kunschikov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13888: pg_dump write error
Date: 2016-01-26 07:21:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Attached small refactoring of the ahwrite() which includes checking of the
errno.
It was made with postgres-9.4.5 sources but applicable to 9.4.1 and even to
9.5.0 with small fuss at ExecuteSqlCommandBuf() call
It could be done with small check of the errno with rerun without any
refactoring.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> kunschikov(at)gmail(dot)com wrote:
>
> > Database backup in heavy loaded environment sometimes fails with the
> > following error:
> >
> > pg_dump: [parallel archiver] could not write to output file: Success
> >
> > Subsequent rerun of the pg_dump solves that problem.
> > More elegant and reliable solution: WRITE_ERROR_EXIT macro replacement
> in
> > ahwrite() function at src/bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c source file.
> > There can be some error checking instead of this macro.
>
> Yeah, I noticed this and similar lacks of error checks in pg_dump in
> code review, which I didn't get around to patching. Care to submit a
> patch?
>
> --
> Álvaro Herrera http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_backup_archiver.c.eagain.patch text/x-patch 3.6 KB