getting started with psql

From: Eric Hulburd <ehulburd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: getting started with psql
Date: 2011-09-06 01:05:59
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,
I have little programming experience and I've been trying to go through the
PostgreSQL 9.0.4 documentation tutorial.  I got to section about creating  a
new database and was lost.

On opening psql,  get the following prompts:
Server [localhost]:
Database [postgres]:
Port [5432]:
Username [postgres]:
Password for user *username*:

I have no idea what I should be entering here.  I'm not trying to connect to
any other server.  I'm just trying to create a database for others to
connect to.  What do I enter for Port?  I don't remember signing up for any
username.  Where do I find my username?

Thanks,
Eric

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Jayadevan MDate: 2011-09-06 03:09:35