exclusion constraint for ranges of IP

From: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)unicell(dot)co(dot)il>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: exclusion constraint for ranges of IP
Date: 2011-08-21 15:08:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'm designing a new database. One of the table contains allowed IP ranges for a customer (Fields: customer_id, from_ip, to_ip) which is intended to check - if an incoming connection's originating IP number falls within the range, it is identified as a particular customer.

Naturally, I'd like to have constraints on the table that prevent entering of ip ranges that overlap. Is there a way to do that with exclusion constraints? Or do I have to define a new type for this?

Herouth