how is the WAL receiver process stopped and restarted when the network connection is broken and then restored?

From: Rui Hai Jiang <ruihaij(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how is the WAL receiver process stopped and restarted when the network connection is broken and then restored?
Date: 2016-06-22 15:52:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I have one Primary server and one Standby server. They are doing streaming
replication well.

I did some testing. I broke the network connection between them for a few
minutes, and then restored the network. I found the both the WAL sender and
WAL receiver were stopped and the restarted.

I wonder how WAL receiver process is stopped and restarted. I have checked
the code hoping to find out the answer, but I don't have any clue.

Could anyone help?

Thanks,
Rui Hai