Re: pg_upgrade

From: Tory M Blue <tmblue(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade
Date: 2011-12-03 19:35:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> Well, I am not totally clear how you are moving things around, but I do
> know pg_upgrade isn't happy to have the old and new cluster be very
> different.
>
> What I think is happening is that you didn't properly move the
> tablespace in the old cluster.  We don't give you a very easy way to do
> that.  You need to not only move the directory, but you need to update
> the symlinks in data/pg_tblspc/, and update the pg_tablespace system
> table.  Did you do all of that?  Does the 8.4 server see the tablespace
> properly after the move, but before pg_upgrade?

Simple answer is umm no..
"http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgupgrade.html" is
obviously lacking than :)

Soooo I can take what you have told me and see if I can't attempt to
make those things happen and try again. Makes sense, but boy that's a
large piece of info missing in the document!

Thanks again

Tory