Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables

From: Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables
Date: 2015-03-04 08:57:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2015/03/03 21:34, Shigeru Hanada wrote:
>>
>> I rebased "join push-down" patch onto Kaigai-san's Custom/Foreign Join
>> v6 patch.
>

> Thanks for the work, Hanada-san and KaiGai-san!
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but did we agree to take this approach, ie,
> "join push-down" on top of custom join? There is a comment ahout that [1].
> I just thought it'd be better to achieve a consensus before implementing the
> feature further.

As Kaigai-san says, foreign join push-down is beside custom scan, and
they are on the custom/foreign join api patch.

>> but still the patch
>> has an issue about joins underlying UPDATE or DELETE. Now I'm working
>> on fixing this issue.
>

> Is that something like "UPDATE foo ... FROM bar ..." where both foo and bar
> are remote? If so, I think it'd be better to push such an update down to
> the remote, as discussed in [2], and I'd like to work on that together!

A part of it, perhaps. But at the moment I see many issues to solve
around pushing down complex UPDATE/DELETE. So I once tightened the
restriction, that joins between foreign tables are pushed down only if
they are part of SELECT statement. Please see next v4 patch I'll post
soon.

--
Shigeru HANADA