Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISN was: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-11-15 23:44:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 November 2011 21:53, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> There's a larger issue here, which is that a lot of the stuff in contrib
> is useful as (a) coding examples for people to look at, and/or (b) test
> cases for core-server functionality.  If a module gets kicked out to
> PGXN we lose pretty much all the advantages of (b), and some of the
> value of (a) because stuff that is in the contrib tree at least gets
> maintained when we make server API changes.

The isn module is patently broken. It has the potential to damage the
project's reputation if someone chooses to make an example out of it.
I think that that's more important than any additional test coverage
it may bring. There's only a fairly marginal benefit at the expense of
a bad user experience for anyone who should use isn.