Re: BGWriter latch, power saving

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BGWriter latch, power saving
Date: 2012-01-17 12:38:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17 January 2012 11:24, Heikki Linnakangas
> In the patch I sent, I did rearrange the sleeping logic. I think it's more
> readable the way it is now.

I have no objection to either your refinement of the sleeping logic,
nor that you moved some things in both the existing code and my patch
so that they occur when no spinlock is held.

Should I proceed with a benchmark on V3, so that we can get this
committed? I imagine that a long pgbench-tools run is appropriate,
(after all, it was used to justify the re-write of the BGWriter for
8.3) at various scale factors, from smallish to quite large.