Re: Adding more memory = hugh cpu load

From: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: alexandre - aldeia digital <adaldeia(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding more memory = hugh cpu load
Date: 2011-10-10 22:02:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov
> wrote:

> alexandre - aldeia digital <adaldeia(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I came to the list to see if anyone else has experienced the same
> > problem
>
> A high load average or low idle CPU isn't a problem, it's a
> potentially useful bit of information in diagnosing a problem. I
> was hoping to hear what the actual problem was, since I've had a few
> problems in high RAM situations, but the solutions depend on what
> the actual problems are. I don't suppose you saw periods where
> queries which normally run very quickly (say in a millisecond or
> less) were suddenly taking tens of seconds to run -- "stalling" and
> then returning to normal? Because if I knew you were having a
> problem like *that* I might have been able to help. Same for other
> set of symptoms; it's just the suggestions would have been
> different. And the suggestions would have depended on what your
> system looked like besides the RAM.
>
> If you're satisfied with how things are running with less RAM,
> though, there's no need.

The original question doesn't actually say that performance has gone down,
only that cpu utilization has gone up. Presumably, with lots more RAM, it is
blocking on I/O a lot less, so it isn't necessarily surprising that CPU
utilization has gone up. The only problem would be if db performance has
gotten worse. Maybe I missed a message where that was covered? I don't see
it in the original query to the list.