Re: Maximum number of WAL files in the pg_xlog directory

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum number of WAL files in the pg_xlog directory
Date: 2014-12-30 08:35:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry for my very late answer. It's been a tough month.

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 12:39:26PM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> > It looked to me that the formula, when descending from a previously
> stressed
> > state, would be:
> >
> > greatest(1 + checkpoint_completion_target) * checkpoint_segments,
> > wal_keep_segments) + 1 +
> > 2 * checkpoint_segments + 1
>
> I don't think we can assume checkpoint_completion_target is at all
> reliable enough to base a maximum calculation on, assuming anything
> above the maximum is cause of concern and something to inform the admins
> about.
>
> Assuming checkpoint_completion_target is 1 for maximum purposes, how
> about:
>
> max(2 * checkpoint_segments, wal_keep_segments) + 2 *
> checkpoint_segments + 2

Seems something I could agree on. At least, it makes sense, and it works
for my customers. Although I'm wondering why "+ 2", and not "+ 1". It seems
Jeff and you agree on this, so I may have misunderstood something.

--
Guillaume.
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info