Re: Question: CREATE EXTENSION and create schema permission?

From: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question: CREATE EXTENSION and create schema permission?
Date: 2011-08-22 09:14:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The attached patch adds permission check at the scenario that I
explained bellow.

Unlike CreateSchemaCommand(), we don't have check_is_member_of_role() here
because the extowner is obviously same with the current user in this code path.

I hope this patch being also back ported to v9.1 tree, not only v9.2
development.

Thanks,

2011/8/21 Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>:
> Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> writes:
>> The current implementation set the current user as owner of the new schema.
>> The default permission check of schema allows owner to create several kinds
>> of underlying objects.
>>
>> In the result, we may consider a scenario that a user without permissions to
>> create new objects possibly get a schema created by CREATE EXTENSION
>> that allows him to create new objects (such as table, function, ...).
>>
>> I don't think it is a desirable behavior. :-(
>
> Agreed,
> --
> Dimitri Fontaine
> http://2ndQuadrant.fr     PostgreSQL : Expertise, Formation et Support

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql-create-extension-permission-checks.patch application/octet-stream 1.0 KB