Re: pg_upgrade < 9.3 -> >=9.3 misses a step around multixacts

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade < 9.3 -> >=9.3 misses a step around multixacts
Date: 2014-07-22 09:08:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 21 July 2014 00:37, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I'm a bit inclined to not say anything about fix procedures in the release
> notes, because I'm not sure that this is a problem in the field. If
> anybody did have a wraparound they'd be getting bleats from VACUUM, and no
> one has reported any such thing that I've heard.

I hit the issue, but Andres helped on IRC (and so started this
thread). Yes, VACUUM failing on a production server after the 9.1->9.3
upgrade was the problem. I'd assumed there was database corruption and
I had some unreadable blocks, and probably would have just rebuilt the
table if #postgresql hadn't been so helpful.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/