restore crashes PG on Linux, works on Windows

From: Chris Curvey <chris(at)chriscurvey(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: restore crashes PG on Linux, works on Windows
Date: 2013-11-26 14:25:17
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm working with a vendor who is in the process of converting their system
from "something else" to Postgres. Yay!

My vendor took a dump of our "something else" database (which runs on
Windows), did their conversion to Postgres, and then sent me back a
postgres dump (custom format) of the database for me to load onto my
servers for testing.

I was interested to find that while I can load the dump onto a PG 9.3
server running on Windows, I'm unable to load it on either 9.2 or 9.3
running on Linux. At some point during the restore process (and it's not a
consistent point), PG on Linux crashes.

I suspect that the problem is related to the encoding specified in the
database dump:

CREATE DATABASE "TestDatabase" WITH TEMPLATE = template0 ENCODING = 'UTF8'
LC_COLLATE = 'English_United States.1252' LC_CTYPE = 'English_United
States.1252';

So my questions for the brain trust are:

1) Would you expect this to work?
2) If I had to load this database on Linux, what would be the best way to
go about it? (see if I can find that charset/encoding for Linux? Ask the
vendor for a plain-text dump? )