postgres_fdw foreign keys with default sequence

From: Tim Kane <tim(dot)kane(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: postgres_fdw foreign keys with default sequence
Date: 2015-02-17 13:08:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been reported already, it seems to be a variation on
this thread:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130515151059.GO4361@tamriel.snowman.net

One minor difference is, in my scenario - my source table field is defined
as BIGINT (not serial) - though it does have a default nextval on a
sequence, so ultimately - the same dependence.

The primary difference (IMHO), is that I am actually foreign keying on a
local materialised view of the fdw'ed foreign table.

On the foreign host:
Table "live.devices"
Column | Type | Modifiers
------------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------
device_id | bigint | not null default
nextval('devices_id_sequence'::regclass)

On the local host:

CREATE FOREIGN TABLE IF NOT EXISTS live.devices (
device_id bigint NOT NULL
);

CREATE MATERIALISED VIEW local.devices;

CREATE test_table (device_id bigint FOREIGN KEY (device_id) REFERENCES
clone.devices (device_id) );

ERROR: referenced relation "devices" is not a table

Though this is a similar scenario to the previous thread, I would have
expected foreign keying from a materialised view to behave independently of
the FDW, as if from a regular local table.

FYI, I'm running postgresql 9.3.4

Cheers,

Tim