Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: List <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, hhorak(at)redhat(dot)com, Pavel Kajaba <pkajaba(at)redhat(dot)com>, Andrew Ross <ubuntu(at)rossfamily(dot)co(dot)uk>, doko(at)debian(dot)org, Jesse Jaara <jesse(dot)jaara(at)gmail(dot)com>, ago(at)gentoo(dot)org, Nico Nicolas <nicolas(dot)lecureuil(at)free(dot)fr>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Complicated re-distribution of pgjdbc the "open source way"
Date: 2016-03-07 15:18:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 7 March 2016 at 10:12, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup(at)redhat(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Monday 07 of March 2016 09:31:10 Dave Cramer wrote:
> > There is a far simpler way to do this.
> >
> > Simply create a Makefile, or ant build.xml, which I imagine you will have
> > to do anyway, and do not include the bits of the code you don't want.
> >
> > I'd be glad to include it in the source with the assumption that you
> > maintain it.
>
> * we were rather thinking about keeping the pom.xml as original as
> possible, Makefile would be additional divergence and work when pom.xml
> works fine

You are still stuck with Maven this way. I guess that is not an issue.

> * the process requires patching out some code using not-acceptable
> dependencies, as this is the cheapest way to deal with most of the
> issues for us downstream -- and we already do it to some extent
>
> It really just requires not including some source files.

> * having parent-poms packaged separately just complicates the build from
> source, so while we are on it in separate fork, we could merge it into
> pgjdbc-foss
>
> Yes well you are only building one version. We have to build 3!

> Makefile or ant file would probably not lower the burden of
> re-distribution and build from source. Any thoughts? But yes, we can
> help with maintenance.

we used to use ant. Since you are only building one version it seems rather
simple to me.
But I am only providing a suggestion, it is the packagers that will have to
do the work, so
you should do what makes sense to you.

Dave Cramer

davec(at)postgresintl(dot)com