insert select fails inside of function

From: Benedict Holland <benedict(dot)m(dot)holland(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: insert select fails inside of function
Date: 2012-06-22 19:01:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I am scratching my head over this one. I have a basic function which
populates a table inside of it (declared outside of the function but that
shouldn't matter) and it requires something like

insert into table1 (col1, ...)
select * from foo

and I get the error "query has no destination for result data". This is
surely not the case as it's going directly into the insert statement which
doesn't have output. Any idea how to get around this particularly annoying
problem? I have to say, making the switch from t-sql to postgresql has been
fairly easy except for function debugging. The inability to return a select
statement from a function and have it display has caused hours of wasted
time and debugging headaches. Is this going to change any time soon?

Thanks,
~Ben