Autovacuum potential bug

From: "maschka, sam" <sam(dot)maschka(at)nextworld(dot)net>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Autovacuum potential bug
Date: 2020-01-10 21:13:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

We have been seeing an issue where reads on a table seem to slowly degrade
over time. When we run VACUUM ANALYZE on the table the operations perform
much better. It usually takes about a week or two for the reads to degrade
to a point where we have to manually run VACUUM ANALYZE. This has been
happening to a handful of our tables. The mutation operations ran against
these tables are mainly update operations. Very few insert and delete
operations are ran against these tables. Also a jsonb object stores most of
the data within each record. The size of the jsonb object can vary widely
between records. We thought the autovacuum facility would have prevented us
from having to periodically run VACUUM ANALYZE. Is this a bug or is it a
configuration issue on our tables?

*Sam Maschka*

Software Engineer
651-245-4054