Re: pgAdmin3 not working with Gnome3

From: Mike Christensen <mike(at)kitchenpc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3 not working with Gnome3
Date: 2011-09-02 04:12:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi all -
>
> I'm on openSuse running the latest stable release of Gnome3 (Just
> trying it out, so far the fact I can't minimize windows is perhaps
> more than my old school brain can handle)..
>
> I've noticed in pgAdmin, basically no popup works.  If I right click
> on the "Databases" branch and select "New Database", nothing happens.
> If I right click on the "Tables" brand and select "New Table", nothing
> happens..  I know for a fact this works when I logon with KDE..
>
> If anyone wants more info from my system, just lemme know what I can
> do to get that for you..  Thanks!!

Okay good news is that these menus do come up, bad news is the bug is
even more obscure. Here's my setup:

I have two monitors. Gnome3 allows you to create multiple desktops to
organize your windows, however this only affects your primary monitor.
I actually kinda like this, since I have my web browser on my second
monitor and I can "scroll through" apps on my primary monitor.

In this case, I had pgAdmin on my second monitor and some random app,
like Eclipse on the primary monitor. I selected "Create Database" on
pgAdmin and apparently nothing happened. What it actually did it
spawned the new dialog on my primary monitor BUT on another virtual
desktop. I finally noticed it when I flipped over to that one..

I guess the bug can be fixed as:

1) Always spawn new child windows on the same monitor.
or
2) In Gnome 3, create the window on the virtual desktop that's
currently active..

Mike