Re: Cascaded standby message

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cascaded standby message
Date: 2011-09-07 10:47:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 03:44, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Fujii - the original goal here was to avoid having a unexplained
>> disconnection in the logs. The only way to do this cleanly is to have
>> a disconnection reason passed to the walsender, rather than just a
>> blind signal. Looks like we need to multiplex or other mechanism.
>
> That's an idea. But what about the patch that I proposed before?
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-08/msg00816.php

Seems like a good solution to me - I hadn't noticed that patch before
posting my complaint.

I don't think it's a problem if it logs it multiple times when it
happens - I think it's a much bigger problem that it logs it when it
didn't actually do anything.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/