Re: PSA: Systemd will kill PostgreSQL

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: PSA: Systemd will kill PostgreSQL
Date: 2016-08-16 15:15:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug 16, 2016 5:11 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > On Aug 16, 2016 4:43 PM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Rather, the problem arises when J. Ordinary User does
> >> nohup postmaster &
> >> and then logs out.
>
> > I think this is a partially different issue though. They already broke
the
> > nohup approach earlier with a different change, didn't they?
>
> Dunno, it was still working the last time I used Fedora for anything much.
> Admittedly, that was about three years ago. But the issue would still
> arise if you prefer "pg_ctl start".

There are two independent changes AFAIK. One is that whenever a user that
logged in interactively logs out all their processes are killed, regardless
of nohup. The other one is the one about shared memory mentioned here. They
will both independently kill postgres sessions launched manually. Or with
pg_ctl.

Both are fairly recent changes, certainly less than three years.

/Magnus