Re: Equivalent of Oracle's per-session statistics (v$client_stats)?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Frits Jalvingh <jal(at)etc(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Equivalent of Oracle's per-session statistics (v$client_stats)?
Date: 2016-03-22 17:20:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mar 22, 2016 6:14 PM, "Frits Jalvingh" <jal(at)etc(dot)to> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Oracle has a way to get per-session statistics. You identify a session
using a call to dbms_session.set_identifier('xxx'), then you enable
statistics using dbms_monitor.client_id_stat_enable('xxx').
> After this you do normal database statements.
> Before you close the connection you can read a view, v$client_stats,
which now contains all kinds of metrics specifically to your connection's
use. Metrics that can be read are things like the number of logical blocks
read, physical blocks read etc.
> Using this mechanism you can show exactly how "bad" for instance a screen
from an application behaves, by finding out how much database I/O it does.

> I was wondering whether Postgresql has something like this? I looked at
the pg_stats tables but I do not see anything that can be related to the
"current session" or "current connection".

There aren't really any on a session basis but there are per transaction.
Take a look at pg_stat_xact_*.

/Magnus