Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: VS 2015 support in src/tools/msvc
Date: 2016-04-08 14:16:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 4:12 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 10:05 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
> wrote:
> ¥> On 04/08/2016 07:15 AM, Christian Ullrich wrote:
> >> GetLocaleInfoEx() is covered by #if (WINVER >= 0x0600), we define
> >> _WIN32_WINNT as 0x0501 (src/include/port/win32.h) and WINVER inherits
> that
> >> value.
>
> Yes, I had a look at winnls.h and that's true.
>
> >> Michael, none of your patches change this, so how does it ever build on
> >> your system?
>
> Luck. I am getting a warning but the code is able to somewhat compile:
> src/port/chklocale.c(230): warning C4013: 'GetLocaleInfoEx'
> undefined; assuming extern returning int
> [C:\Users\IEUser\git\postgres\libpgport.vcxproj]
> But that's clearly incorrect to get that. As you are saying, what we
> actually just need to do is bumping _WIN32_WINNT to 0x0600 when
> compiling with VS2015, meaning that the minimum build requirement for
> Postgres with VS2015 would be Windows Vista, and it would not be
> possible to compile it on XP or Windows server 2k3. As XP is already
> out of support, I think that this is an acceptable tradeoff, and it
> would still be possible to build Postgres on XP with older versions of
> Visual. Thoughts?

I think that's easily acceptable for the build system, as long as we
document it clearly.

I think it would probalby be a bad idea to use those binaries in our binary
installers though, but that's a different discussion really. We have other
compiler flags that we don't recommend for that :)

//Magnus