Re: Mail thread references in commits

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Mail thread references in commits
Date: 2016-11-28 11:07:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> > Ok, we now have it. https://postgr.es/m/messageid will redirect to that
> > messageid in the main archives.
>
> I pushed a patch using this new convention:
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=
> dafa0848da11260e9510c699e7060171336cb550
>
> While the URL seems to work, I notice that gitweb doesn't show it as
> a clickable link in the above page. Is that fixable?

That seems to be because your message-id looks like a git commit hash. It
does the same with your messageid's in previous commits, does it not?

I don't really read perl enough to take it apart. But
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/gitweb/gitweb.perl is the code
(we're probably on an older version). I'm guessing it's coming out of
format_log_line (
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/gitweb/gitweb.perl#n2035). (the
version we have only has the part that looks for the hash).

Doesn't seem to be configurable. We can of course turn that off completely,
but in that case it will no longer match any other git hash references in
commit messages, so that might be a net loss.

I wonder if it's worth forking gitweb to make it do explicitly what we want
for this -- that is recognize all the different kinds of things that would
be interesting here. But that fork should probably be done by somebody with
some more perl skills than me :)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/