Re: PUG Listing?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PUG Listing?
Date: 2012-10-10 18:57:31
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:37 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>> If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code could be reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary
>>
>> Oh, I didn't even know about this project. Looks like you lost momentum
>> about a year ago. How much functionality did you actually get done?
>
> Just looked at the code - listing the pugs by geographical region was done(-ish, really needed a couple of more lines) and it looks like it could include posts from the PUG blogs. You could edit what pugs were visible in the list from the Django admin that was setup. The functionality from this code rewrite was to mirror the old PUG site.
>
> Getting the pug list done would be minimal work. Unless we plan on relaunching the pugs.postgresql.org site, It would probably be a better endeavor to take the data models, simplify them slightly, and put them into the main -www codebase, as well as the listing code.

I would suggest going with whatever is the simplest. At least starting
there. Once we've proven to ourselves that we have the manpower to
maintain that, we can start considering doing something more advanced.

Thus, +1 for a simple pugs listing/app on the main website. We already
have planet to aggregate blogs, and there are a bazillion different
sites out there that can host your personal blog for you.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/