Re: Draft release notes complete

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Draft release notes complete
Date: 2012-08-30 09:02:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:20 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

>> > Where are we on this?
>>
>> Waiting on Andrew.
>>
>> As far as I can see, we need to update the machine to release 4.7, and
>> then install a "skip file" or something like that. Andrew, can you
>> please explain how is that to be used? I don't see it documented
>> anywhere.
>
> Why does this need to be tied into the build farm? Someone can surely
> set up a script that just runs the docs build at every check-in, like it
> used to work. What's being proposed now just sounds like a lot of
> complication for little or no actual gain -- net loss in fact.

It doesn't have to. The gain is that we don't then end up conflicting
with the buildfarm on when we run. Unlike the old server, we try to
avoid running too many concurrent builds because it might kill other
services on the same box - which happened quite frequently on the old
one. In fact, it happened so frequently on the old one that people
stopped caring...

We also get the buildfarms functionality for collecting logs and
reporting them. Just some more we don't have to build a new set of
scripts for.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/