Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, gj19861103(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit
Date: 2012-06-27 06:49:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Jun 27, 2012 8:42 AM, "Craig Ringer" <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:

> On 06/27/2012 02:33 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>

>> > ... where that provides the common-issues list, a pointer to look at
the installation log, then a report template for cases where it wasn't one
of the common quick-fixes.

>> > I'm happy to work on the docs side, possibly even do a quick
JavaScript+form report template to ensure fields like detailed OS version,
exact Pg version, etc are supplied. Which reminds me, I need to find out
how to detect whether a Windows box is on a domain with non-default group
policy, and how/if antivirus can be detected.

>> From the browser? Pretty sure that's impossible, and for very good
reasons...

> No, not from the browser. What a horrible thought. No, just "run this
command" or "look here" or "copy this registry key" stuff.

Good. Scared me there for a second :-)

> (It is possible to collect this stuff from the browser, but you'd have to
use an ActiveX control or an Java Web Start application, and the security
implications are absolutely horrific. I'd never, ever, ever, ever want to
go there.)

Yeah let's not go there. Active X would also encourage the bad practice of
using Internet explorer of course, which is another good reason not to go
there :-)

> Maybe eventually I'd be able to put together a little script to run to
collect info; if it's not bundled in the installer it doesn't have the same
necessity to be absolutely robust and correct in all situations and can be
easily updated to collect more. It can also collect stuff like
installed-program lists, environment data, etc because the user would be
_knowingly_ and _explicitly_ submitting the report with that info and have
a chance to redact portions if desired.

> For now, though, all I'm talking about is a helping-hand web form with
hints about how to find out the exact Windows version, architecture,
antivirus in use, etc. Nothing but a web page with some jQuery code.

There are some easy api to get whether the box is on a domain or not, and
it's easily accessible from wsh as well. And it ought to be trivial in
power shell...

As for the av, I'm less sure. Maybe it's better to just dump a list of
installed programs? I'd expect all av to be installed by installers that
register them..

The other idea would be to find out if there is an api corresponding to the
"your computer is at risk" is warning bubble, and just use it backwards. I
have non idea if there is though, I've never done any work in that area at
all.

/Magnus