Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, gj19861103(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit
Date: 2012-06-27 06:42:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 06/27/2012 02:33 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > ... where that provides the common-issues list, a pointer to look at
> the installation log, then a report template for cases where it wasn't
> one of the common quick-fixes.
> >
> > I'm happy to work on the docs side, possibly even do a quick
> JavaScript+form report template to ensure fields like detailed OS
> version, exact Pg version, etc are supplied. Which reminds me, I need
> to find out how to detect whether a Windows box is on a domain with
> non-default group policy, and how/if antivirus can be detected.
> >

> From the browser? Pretty sure that's impossible, and for very good
> reasons...

No, not from the browser. What a horrible thought. No, just "run this
command" or "look here" or "copy this registry key" stuff.

(It is possible to collect this stuff from the browser, but you'd have
to use an ActiveX control or an Java Web Start application, and the
security implications are absolutely horrific. I'd never, ever, ever,
ever want to go there.)

Maybe eventually I'd be able to put together a little script to run to
collect info; if it's not bundled in the installer it doesn't have the
same necessity to be absolutely robust and correct in all situations and
can be easily updated to collect more. It can also collect stuff like
installed-program lists, environment data, etc because the user would be
_knowingly_ and _explicitly_ submitting the report with that info and
have a chance to redact portions if desired.

For now, though, all I'm talking about is a helping-hand web form with
hints about how to find out the exact Windows version, architecture,
antivirus in use, etc. Nothing but a web page with some jQuery code.

--
Craig Ringer