Re: bugs and bug tracking

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bugs and bug tracking
Date: 2015-10-06 18:19:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Nathan Wagner <nw+pg(at)hydaspes(dot)if(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 10:57:42AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Speaking of which ... this project is rich in skilled users who are
> > involved in the community but don't code. Bug triage is exactly the
> > kind of thing very part-time community supporters can do, if we make it
> > easy for them to do.
>
> I can make it easy. But that doesn't directly address two of the other
> points:
>
> 1: Do we need any system for who is allowed to triage bugs?
> 2: Should an equivalent email be sent to the list?
>
> Specifically with point number 2, suppose the above mechanism is
> used. When a triager marks a bug as (say) not a bug, should
> the system just update the database, or should it actually
> send a formatted email to the bugs list with the 'Bug Status: not a bug'
> line (among others, presumably)? I think it should send the email,
> but I can see how that could be construed as junk.

I think that's an absolute requirement. Otherwise the system will force
people to check both email and the tracker. The whole point is that those
who prefer the email-only workflow should be able to keep that one.

If someone doesn't want them, it's easy enough to filter them in the MUA.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/