Re: pg_basebackup Error could not open directory

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Ankur Kaushik <ankurkaushik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup Error could not open directory
Date: 2015-10-24 11:51:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

This indicates that someone has created a directory called "backup" inside
your data directory (/var/lib/pgsql/9.4/data), without postgres having
permissions on it.

My guess is at some point you accidentally ran pg_basebackup telling it to
store the backup in that directory, and ran it as user root, which created
a directory there.

There should be no directory named "backup" inside the data directory, so
once you've verified it's not something else that ended up there by
mistake, you should just remove it. Basically you should *never* create any
files or directories manually inside the data directory.

//Magnus

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/