Dropping training events

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dropping training events
Date: 2018-11-07 14:36:23
Lists: pgsql-www

I'd like to propose that we drop the ability to register training events on
the www.postgresql.org site.

Reasons:

1. It's basically a system set up to game, where it helps to flood with a
lot of instances and then cancel them (often without actually removing the
registration on the website, and our moderators certainly don't have the
time to go double-check which instances are actually happening etc)

2. It takes a lot of work for our moderators

3. Based on (1) it provides very little value to the end user the way it is
now.

4. And based on (3), in the end it also doesn't provide much value to the
companies providing training.

Instead, I propose that we long-term merge this functionality into the
"professional services" part of the site, as a "this provider provides both
support and training" or "this provider provides just training" kind of
fields. Now, that section of the site *also* needs a complete redesign and
re-thought, but the problems to consider (avoid what's basically spam and
figuring out how to get a listing thats actually useful to end users) are
very similar between things like support and training in this context.

But short term,let's just drop them because they're useless today.

--
Magnus Hagander