Re: IDLE in transaction introspection

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IDLE in transaction introspection
Date: 2012-01-18 13:27:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 01:43, Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Scott Mead <scottm(at)openscg(dot)com> wrote:

>>> The docs on this v4 look like they suffered a patch order problem here.
>>>  In the v3, you added a whole table describing the pg_stat_activity
>>> documentation in more detail than before.  v4 actually tries to remove those
>>> new docs, a change which won't even apply as they don't exist upstream.
>>>
>>> My guess is you committed v3 to somewhere, applied the code changes for
>>> v4, but not the documentation ones.  It's easy to do that and end up with a
>>> patch that removes a bunch of docs the previous patch added.  I have to be
>>> careful to always do something like "git diff origin/master" to avoid this
>>> class of problem, until I got into that habit I did this sort of thing
>>> regularly.
>>>
>> gak
>

> I did a 'backwards' diff last time.  This time around, I diff-ed off of a
> fresh pull of 'master' (and I did the diff in the right direction.
>
> Also includes whitespace cleanup and the pg_stat_replication (procpid ==>
> pid) regression fix.

I'm reviewing this again, and have changed a few things around. I came
up with a question, too :-)

Right now, if you turn off track activities, we put "<command string
not enabled>" in the query text. Shouldn't this also be a state, such
as "disabled"? It seems more consistent to me...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/