Re: pg_stat_statements temporary file

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_statements temporary file
Date: 2012-05-27 08:53:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, May 25, 2012, Tom Lane wrote:

> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com <javascript:;>> writes:
> > On Friday, May 25, 2012 04:03:49 PM Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> >> Where do you suggest the file be written to?
>
> > One could argue stats_temp_directory would be the correct place.
>
> No, that would be exactly the *wrong* place, because that directory can
> be on a RAM disk. We need to put this somewhere where it'll survive
> a shutdown.
>
> One could imagine creating a PGDATA subdirectory just for permanent (not
> temp) stats files, but right at the moment that seems like overkill.
> If we accumulate a few more similar files, I'd start to think it was
> worth doing.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. But yeah, at the time it's probably
overkill - the main use today would be for better isolation of non-core
extensions, but I'm not sure there are enough of those that want to write
files in the data directory to care about..

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/