Re: Autonomous subtransactions

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Gianni Ciolli <gianni(dot)ciolli(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autonomous subtransactions
Date: 2011-12-19 19:50:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 21:43, Alvaro Herrera
>> (I do realize that allowing subtransactions to commit out of order
>> also makes it failure prone)
>
> Uhm?  You can't "commit" savepoints out of order.  You can "release" an
> older one, but then all the ones following it disappear and can't be
> released separately.

We're confused about the terminology already :)

I was talking about "autonomous subtransactions" as in COMMIT
SUBTRANSACTION from the proposal. Earlier I commented that it would be
nice if the syntax didn't require autonomous transactions to be
strictly nested.

Regards,
Marti