Re: Why Hard-Coded Version 9.1 In Names?

From: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
To: Jerry Richards <jerry(dot)richards(at)teotech(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why Hard-Coded Version 9.1 In Names?
Date: 2012-01-31 13:14:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 00:41, Jerry Richards
<jerry(dot)richards(at)teotech(dot)com> wrote:
> I just installed postgreSQL 9.1 and noticed it hard-codes the folder
> /var/lib/pgsql/9.1 and it hard-codes the service name to be postgresql91.

> Why is the hard-coded version included in the naming?

Note that this is done by Linux distributions, vanilla PostgreSQL
doesn't use version-specific paths.

The reason is that the PostgreSQL on-disk format is not
forward-compatible. In order to upgrade from one Postgres version to
the next, you need to have *both* versions installed at once. As
annoying as it is, version-specific paths is a pretty foolproof way to
enable that.

Regards,
Marti