Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Mason S <masonlists(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Horizontal scalability/sharding
Date: 2015-09-03 05:31:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> One lesson from XL we got is that we need testing framework for cluster,
> so any cluster project should at least pass functional and performance
> testing.

+1. In early XC days, we focused a lot on adding newer features and
supporting as many PG features as possible. That took its toll on the
testing and QA. It was a mistake though my feeling was we tried to correct
that to some extend with XL. We did a 9.5 merge, which of course was a big
deal, but other than more time is being spent on improving stability and
performance

XL was very easy to break and I'm wondering how many corner cases still
> exists.

Your team reported 2 or 3 major issues which I think we were able to fix
quite quickly. But if there are more such issues which your team has
recorded somewhere, I would request you to send them to the XL mailing
list. I would definitely want to look at them and address them.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/