Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Define integer limits independently from the system definitions.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Define integer limits independently from the system definitions.
Date: 2015-10-19 14:51:22
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hi Andres,

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> Define integer limits independently from the system definitions.
>
> In 83ff1618 we defined integer limits iff they're not provided by the
> system. That turns out not to be the greatest idea because there's
> different ways some datatypes can be represented. E.g. on OSX PG's 64bit
> datatype will be a 'long int', but OSX unconditionally uses 'long
> long'. That disparity then can lead to warnings, e.g. around printf
> formats.

This commit has added PG_INT16_MIN/MAX, however we still rely on SHRT_MIN
and SHRT_MAX in some code paths. On all the platforms I looked at (OpenBSD,
FreeBSD, MinGW, MSVC, OSX, Linux, Solaris) SHRT_MIN and SHRT_MAX
definitions are always the same. Still, shouldn't we replace SHRT_* by
their equivalent PG_INT16_* to be completely independent? I am just
wondering if you considered that.
Regards,
--
Michael