Re: increasing the default WAL segment size

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>
Subject: Re: increasing the default WAL segment size
Date: 2017-01-03 12:16:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 6:23 AM, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com> wrote:
> + /* Check if wal_segment_size is in the power of 2 */
> + for (i = 0;; i++, pow2 = pow(2, i))
> + if (pow2 >= wal_segment_size)
> + break;
> +
> + if (wal_segment_size != 1 && pow2 > wal_segment_size)
> + {
> + fprintf(stderr, _("%s: WAL segment size must be in the power of 2\n"), progname);
> + exit(1);
> + }

I recall taht pow(x, 2) and x * x result usually in the same assembly
code, but pow() can never be more optimal than a simple
multiplication. So I'd think that it is wiser to avoid it in this code
path. Documentation is missing for the new replication command
SHOW_WAL_SEG. Actually, why not just having an equivalent of the SQL
command and be able to query parameter values?
--
Michael