Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2012-10-09 01:19:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> wrote:

> Hrm... the claim was made that everything relating to the index, including
> pg_depend and pg_contstraint, got duplicated. But I don't know how you
> could duplicate a constraint without also playing name games. Perhaps name
> games are being played there as well...

Yes, it is what was originally intended. Please note the pg_constraint
entry was not duplicated correctly in the first version of the patch
because of a bug I already fixed.
I will provide another version soon if necessary.

>> Right now I don't see anything that would make switching oids easier than
>> relfilenodes.
>>

> Yeah... in order to make either of those schemes work I think there would
> need to non-trivial internal changes so that we weren't just passing around
> raw OIDs/filenodes.
>
> BTW, it occurs to me that this problem might be easier to deal with if we
> had support for accessing the catalog with the same snapshot as the main
> query was using... IIRC that's been discussed in the past for other issues.

Yes, it would be better and helpful to have such a mechanism even for other
operations.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com